Potatoes with Euodia lunu ankenda Leaves
Euodia lunu ankenda or better known as pucuk tenggek burung is a rare herb ,but you can buy it from the wet market or pasar tani.The stem is advised to be eaten raw as it has curable effect towards high sugar level or diabetic.The leaves are also eaten as ulam by the malay community.Some time back,my husband was diagnosed with diabetic with a very high sugar level , and a friend introduced me to this ulam.Both the leaves and stem are bitter. So I was thinking ways to make use the leaves ,and tried the combination of potatoes with the leaves.I was also thinking of using the leaves to prepare a kerabu dish. If it comes out well, will blog that as well.Hopefully it will give some ideas to other bloggers.When buying ,ensure that the stems are soft ,so that it can be chewed easily.
Fresh daun tenggek burung– 1 bunch
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
White whole urad dhall-1 tsp
Ginger paste – ½ tablespoon
Garlic paste – ½ tablespoon
Dry red chili – 2
Onion – 1 medium or 1 cup, chopped finely
Potatoes(parboiled) – 2 medium or 1 ½ cups
Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
Salt – to taste
1. Wash the leaves properly and chop them. Keep the stems apart.It is always advised to eat the stems uncooked for health purposes therefore I normally add them in salads or serve the stems as ulam .
2. Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
3. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle then add urad dhall and let it turn brown.
4. Then add dry red chili, ginger paste and garlic paste. Sauté them for 30 seconds.
5. Add chopped onions and mix. Sauté it till it turns translucent about 3 minutes.
6. Then add potatoes, salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder.
7. Mix well and and add in the chopped the leaves.The leaves take some time to cook.Well combine the leaves with masalas .Close and keep in low heat until the leaves cook ,this will take about 7-10 mins. Stir in between to make sure that potatoes are not sticking to bottom of pan
8. Cover and cook till potatoes are completely soften.
9. Serve hot.
Variation: Can add some fried anchovies /ikan bilis goreng