Fried Tofu -
1 block (400gm ) of soft or firm tofu – I used Japanese Pressed Tofu
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp of ground white pepper
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
Sesame-Soy Dipping Sauce -
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
2 shallots – minced
3 bird’s eye chili peppers - deseeded and minced
1 spring onion – chopped
Sprinkles of toasted sesame seeds
1. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl, and set aside.
2. Mix cornstarch and white pepper in one small bowl. Then whisk egg in another small bowl. And finally, add in breadcrumbs into a third small bowl.
3. Carefully remove the tofu block from its package, since it can break easily. Slice into 16 cubes (slice block in half horizontally first, then cut into cubes).
4. Coat each tofu cube first in the cornstarch bowl, then egg, then panko flakes.
5. Add vegetable oil into skillet until it pools to only about 1/4 inch deep. Heat on medium-high fire. The oil will be ready when bubbles form around the handle of a wooden chopstick or spoon when placed in the oil .
6. Place all the tofu cubes into the skillet. When one side browns, flip it over to another side. Repeat until nicely browned. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towel. Serve hot with sesame-soy dipping sauce.