- 1 medium chicken,cleaned and cut into 12 pieces
- 1 tbsp black pepper (pounded)
- 1 tbsp chilli paste
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- ½ tbsp oyster sauce
- ½ tbsp honey, a bit of sugar and salt to taste
- Mixture of spices(cinnamon stick,cloves,star anise and cardamom)
- 3 tsbp kerisik/toasted coconut
- 1 tbsp tamarind juice (optional)
To be pounded:
- 5 shallots
- 1 big onion
- 2 nips garlic
- 1 in ginger
- 1/2 in galangal
- 1 lemongrass
- Fry the chicken pieces partially. Mix the chicken with freshly pounded black pepper, 1 tbsp dark soy sauce.Marinate for 30mins.
- Heat oil, sauté the spices until aromatic.Then add in chilli paste and sauté further until oil floats on top.
- Add in dark soy sauce, chicken pieces and kerisik. Combine all the ingredients with the spices.Add about 1 cup of water and leave to simmer gently.Add in soy sauces,honey, salt and sugar and tamarind juice.Leave to cook until gravy thickens.
- Serve with white rice, briyani, tomato rice etc.
Kerisik can be purchased ready made from the market in plastics or bottle in the supermarket.For those who finds it difficult to obtain it, can make it ready made. Check out this site,which gives a good step by step instructions on preparing kerisik : http://www.pickles-and-spices.com/how-to-toast-coconut.html