A delicious French dessert , great for anytime of the day . I used Farina oo for the pastry , the tart was soft and amazingly prefect ! The filling was soft even after 3 days being refrigerated! The French word tarte can be translated to mean either pie or tart, as both are mainly the same with the exception of a pie usually covering the filling in pastry, while flans and tarts leave it open.This tarte is a tart with smooth soft chocolate filling.
½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ cup icing sugar, sifted
3 large egg yolks
1 cup cake and pastry flour(I used Farina oo)
¼ cup Dutch process cocoa powder
2 Tbsp cornstarch
½ tsp salt
½ cup whipping cream
¼ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
¼ cup sugar
½ cup hot, strong coffee
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
Adapted : Anna Olson
1. For the pastry, beat the butter and icing sugar until smooth, then add the egg yolks all at once and beat until well combined.
2. In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt. Add this to the butter mixture and stir until evenly combined. Shape the dough into a disc, wrap and chill until ready to use.
3. Knead the chocolate pastry dough once or twice on a lightly floured work surface to soften, then roll out the dough to a circle just less than ¼-inch thick. Lift the dough carefully to line a 9-inch removable-bottom fluted tart pan. Press the dough into the shell and trim away any excess. Dock the pastry with a fork. Chill the tart shell for at least 20 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Place the chilled tart shell onto a baking tray and bake it for about 18 minutes, until you see that the pastry has an even, dull finish. Allow it to cool while you prepare the filling.
5. For the filling, bring the cream and butter up to a simmer and pour this over the chocolate in a large bowl, letting it sit for just a few seconds. Gently stir the mixture with a spatula until the chocolate melts, then whisk in the sugar and the coffee. Lightly beat the eggs in a small dish and add this to the chocolate, along with the vanilla, whisking gently until incorporated. Pour this into the cooled tart shell and bake (still at 350 F) for 12 minutes. Allow the tart to cool to room temperature, then chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
6. The tart can be stored, refrigerated, for up to 2 days.
Adapted : Anna Olson