Tomato Shrimp

Some time back  ,I had the urge to use passata in my cooking, what with frequently watching Diners, Drive in, and Dives, of Guy Fieri ,there are many who actually prepare their gravy with large tins of tomato paste/sauce and at times I hear the word passata. And why not, I thought, shouldn’t I incorporate  passata in my daily cooking.When I came across it at Isetan  around Rm7 plus, for 2 bottles,I just grabbed them without a second thought. I ‘ll find ways to use it ! Passata is a cooked tomato concentrate. In the case of the recipe you refer to, which calls for a small amount, you might prefer to substitute tomato paste rather than going to the trouble of buying or making passata.I thought of using it for a prawn recipe. I came across some large shrimp,which  is not something cheap here in the western part of Malaysian. The 450gm of shrimp costs me RM20.  




I wanted to prepare something rich and tasty with rice , so this is what I came up with.The prawn tasted so succulent ,the gravy was sweet and the sauce when mixed with rice ,just tasted awesome.

450gms shrimp
½ tsp paprika powder,dry roast lightly
3 tsp cayenne powder
½ tsp fresh grounded black pepper powder
1 tsp tomato sauce
1 (100gm) bombay onion /yellow onion (diced small)
4 nip garlic,chopped finely
175gm passata ( A bottle contain 350gm, use half )
½  a yellow capsicum, diced small
½ a red capsicum,diced small
1 small tomato, cut into 8 parts
1 ½ tbsp sugar
¼ tsp salt (adjust accordingly)
Juice from half a lime
Garnishing-some chopped spring onions or coriander leaves



Rub and dry the shrimps with kitchen towel.Marinate the shrimps with paprika,cayenne, tomato sauce and black pepper powder for 15mins .Heat 3 tbsp olive oil/cooking oil, sauté onions until transculent,add in chopped garlic and stir fry a few seconds, then add in the passata, sugar and salt. Stir until sauce  thickens. Add in shrimps,diced capsicum and tomatoes and stir, Close and let the prawns change colour for about 8 to 10mins. Taste and adjust seasoning.Squeeze the lime juice.Stir to combine. Dish out into a serving dish and garnish with chopped spring onions.



Comments

Post a Comment