1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
3 sprigs curry leaves
¼ tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
¼ tsp fennel seeds
¼ tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp kasmiri chilli powder/ chilli powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp freshly ground cinnamon powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp garam masala
Mix all the dry ingredients with some water and make into a paste. Keep aside. Heat a wok or skillet, pour 3 tbsp oil, add in the dry spices, and fry until fragrant .Add in chopped onions and saute further until onion soften.Add in ginger garlic paste, curry leaves and stir further. Add in chopped tomato as well.Saute until tomatoes turn mushy. Then ,add in the powder paste and saute until fragrant.In between ,if you feel the paste is too dry, can add a tbsp of oil ! Add in squid and stir fry until the dish is almost dry . Dish out and serve with white rice.
How to clean squid ;
- Holding the body firmly, grasp the head and pull gently, twisting if necessary, to pull the head away from the body without breaking the ink sac. The internal body and tentacles will come with it.
- Cut the tentacles from the head just below the eyes. At the center of the tentacles is a small beak. Squeeze to remove and discard.
- Set aside the the tentacles to use (they're edible and tasty). If the recipe calls for ink, reserve it, otherwise discard the head and ink sac.
- At the top of the body, there is a clear piece of cartilage. Pull it out and discard.
- If the squid has an outer spotted membrane-type skin, pull it off and discard.
- Cut and wash under cold running water, inside and out, to get rid of any sand or other remaining tissues, and wash the tentacles carefully as well.
- Cut into desired portion and keep aside.