Pad Thai -Thai Cuisine

Pad Thai is often called the signature dish of Thai cuisine. There are several regional variations, indeed it has been said that Thailand has not only a different curry for every day of the year, but also a different pad Thai for every cook in Thailand! This is my version which is slightly different to suit my family’s taste.I do not like the taste of fish sauce that much ,therefore I have lessen the amount .The recipe does have some similarity to Mee Siam.
I actually used a different type of noodles which slightly look like a dried version of koey teow as you can see the image below.




Ingredients
8 ounces rice noodles.( These should be soaked at room temperature for an hour or more depending on how soft you prefer the noodles. It may take some experimentation to determine your preference, start with warm water.)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped shallots
½ cup chicken pieces
5-6 large fresh prawns
1/2 tsp fish sauce
1 tbsp chopped palm sugar
2 teaspoons tamarind concentrate mixed with
5 teaspoons water (this makes tamarind juice)
1 medium egg, beaten
1/4 cup chopped chives
3 tbsp roasted peanuts, coarsely broken up.
1 cup bean sprouts
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce

Method
Heat a little cooking oil in a wok and add the garlic and shallots, and briefly stir fry until they just shows signs of changing color. At this point one option is to add chicken meat/prawns and cook a bit longer, if you prefer chicken pad Thai. Add the remaining ingredients except the egg and the bean sprouts, and stir fry until the noodles soften (about 5 minutes). As you stir the noodles, periodically throw in 1-2 tablespoons of water, and after 2-3 minutes add both soy sauces. Continuing to stir with one hand, slowly "drizzle" in the beaten egg to form a fine ribbon of cooked egg (if you don't feel confident with this make an egg crepe separately, and then roll it up and slice it into quarter inch wide pieces, which you add to the mix at this point). At this point, a very tasty but optional addition is a small handful of dried shrimp can be added. Add the bean sprouts and cook for no more than another 30 seconds. Remove from the pan to a serving platter.



Garnish
Top up the pad thai with chopped peanuts,chopped chives ,cut limes and finely shredded cucumber.In some recipes they use the thai chilli powder but I used Lingam Thai chilli sauce separately instead.Also added some green chilli pickles.Was just as good .

Thanks for visiting!
Rate this recipe:





Comments

  1. Hi there, first I must congratulate you for your site, it's beautiful. The format is neat, the pictures look like the real thing you get when you follow the recipes (hehe..), and the cooking guidelines are just right, not too detailed not too elliptic. Perfect.
    Now I really enjoyed this Thai curry. Just one thing I should mention: I'm European and we don't normally eat nearly that much (!) chilly over here. Last time I went to a genuine thai restaurant, I couldn't finish my tofu and green chillies: I was gasping for water for the rest of the night :)). So for this recipe I only used 2 small birds eye, and that was plenty for my delicate mouth, I still had enough taste buds left to enjoy the full flavor of this great dish. Highly recommended ! Thanks for the post :)

    Greetings, Thierry, the Netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my earlier comment and rating were for the thai prawn curry (so good but.. hot, hot hot! :). Kind regards, Thierry, the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thierry,
    Thx for the comliments.Really appreciate it.Same like you I also cant agree that much with bird eye chillies, its really very spicy and can be burning sensation .lol.
    One advice I can give you is if you still want to use bird eye chillies in your dishes try discarding the seeds , in that way the spicyness will be less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks for the wonderful recipe... I can make it vegetarian version. I love phad thai...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment