No serving of nasi lemak would be complete without a generous dollop of sambal tumis, a fiery cooked chilli paste, often with the addition of either tiny dried whitebait/dried anchoviesprawns or squid.But this sambal goes well with dhall curry or even sothi( a south indian stew) .
500 gm Prawns (clean and take out the shell)
2 big Onions(sliced)
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Tamarind paste mix with 1/2 cup water, strained
Oil, Salt and Sugar
Ground together in to a paste:
10 dried Chillies(soak in water)
6 Red Chillies
1 tsp Belacan(shrimp paste)
5 Candlenuts(buah keras)
- Heat oil and saute the grounded ingredients till fragrant.
- Add in prawns and stir-fry till prawns turn pink.
- Pour the tamarind juice, salt, sugar and turmeric powder.
- You can add sliced red chillies to make it more spicy.
- If preferred you can also add 1/2 cup coconut milk (optional).
- Cook till gravy has thickened.
Thanks for visiting!
Rate this recipe: