Two simple dishes
Dal Curry and Cabbage & Peas Masala
Simple Dal Curry
A simple dal curry for all to try.
Toor Daal (Split pigeon peas)- 1/3rd of a cup
Channa Daal (Split garbanzo beans)- 1/4th of a cup
Water – 2 cups or just as needed
Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 2 tsp or use Oil – 1 tbsp
Onion – 1 med., finely chopped
Tomato- 1 med., finely chopped
Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp(if you wish)
Salt – to taste
For Tempering (Seasoning):
Clarified Butter (Ghee) – 2 tsp or use oil
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida – pinch
Curry Leaves – few
Garlic – 2 cloves, finely chopped
Ginger – 1 tsp, grated
Green chili – 2 (I slitted the chillies and added them to dal,you can make them into paste )
Lime Juice – (I have omitted the lime juice)
Cilantro – Garnish, finely chopped
In the pressure cooker pot, heat Oil or ghee on medium flame.
Once the Oil or ghee is hot, add in the Mustard Seeds and allow them to pop.
Add in Cumin Seeds, Asafoetida,Turmeric Powder, Curry Leaves, slited Green Chillis, Garlic, Ginger and cook for a few minutes.
Now add in the Onions and a little Salt and cook the onions till they turn translucent.
Once done, add in the dry powders – Cumin, Red Chili, Coriander and Garam Masala.
Add Water and cover and pressure cook on medium heat and allow it to whistle 4-5 times or till you smell the cooked dal.(Personal preference to how cooked you want your dal to be ,I cooked the dal slightly mushy)
Turn off the stove after hearing whistles and allow it to cool down.
1) Heat up 3 tsp oil, add cinnamon stick ,mustard seeds and let the seeds splutter.
Then add in cumin seeds, fennel seeds, hing, garlic and saute garlic till it changes color.
2) Add sliced onion and sauté further,to it add a bit of salt as well and sauté till it becomes soft,
3) Add turmeric powder, garam masala, red chilli powder, coriander powder, mix and cook for
4) Add tomatoes, mix, cover and cook till tomatoes soften.Closing the lid is a must because this
will encourage the liquid from the spices to come out and prevent the spices from burning.
5) Add sliced cabbage, mix, add salt to taste, cover and cook till cabbage gets tender.
Finally mix in green peas .Before closing fire ,add curry leaves .Garnish with chopped coriander leaves if desired.
6) Serve as a side dish with your rice .
Cabbage N Peas Masala recipe is heading to Divya's Culinary Journey Event on Herbs N Spices:Asafoetida N Fennel Seeds started Julie.